Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Berry Jam

I have discovered how easy it can be to make homemade jam. Once I learned a couple of things that is...


This one is blueberry. The first one I tried was strawberry and rhubarb. We were all pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I have since figured out some tips on getting it to set or thicken up as my first attempt was a little runny.

Credit goes to this recipe: How To Make Fruit Jam

berries
sugar
lemon juice (optional)
chia seeds (optional)

The ratio for berries to sugar seems to be in the neighborhood of 2 to 1/2 cups. For 2 cups of berries, 1/2 cup of sugar. I have read some recipes with a lot more sugar and some with less. In this one I used 2 cups of berries and 1/2 cup of sugar.

What I did learn was that just getting it to boil and simmer was not good enough. It has to reach a temperature around 210 F. I used my meat thermometer. It has to be continuously stirred while reaching this temperature. One reason is to limit the splatter :).

The lemon juice, it seems, can help to offset the bitter taste of some berries. I used a squirt or two.

The chia seeds can help to thicken the jam if you find it doesn't set after boiling and simmering it. I tossed in about 1-2 tablespoons since they are a healthy additive either way.

I let mine simmer for about 15-20 minutes. I let it cool down some then poured into a jar.

Refrigerate and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment