Friday, September 18, 2015

Chunky One Dish Microwaved Potato Salad

Have you pretty much given up on the idea of cooking potatoes to the right consistency for chunky potato salad? Have you tried cooking them with the skin on?

One day I found references to microwaving the potatoes instead. It works great AND you can cook, mix and serve it in the same dish when you use a microwavable dish.





4- 8 Potatoes
1 Cup mayonnaise/miracle whip/salad dressing
2 Tsp mustard
1/4 to 1/2 onion
1/4 to 1/2 Tsp white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
dill, basil or another herb

1-2 eggs for topping (optional)

Can also add 1/4 - 1 Tsp vinegar.

Use honey mustard, spicy mustard or whatever kind/type you prefer. Use green onion, white onion, purple onion... You get the picture. Same with herbs. I tend to use different ones. This one I used basil and cilantro. I only used 1/4 Tsp of sugar. I use celery salt and sometimes lemon pepper.\

If using fresh herbs. I find the easiest way to chop them up is in a little cup with scissors.

I'm horrible at measuring things so please use your own judgement.

I didn't want a big salad so I used 4 regular sized potatoes. Can use any kind of potato that you prefer. Peel, cut in cubes, rinse and put into microwavable dish. Microwave on high with the lid on for 9-15 minutes depending on number of potatoes. I did 11 minutes. Do not add any water as there is enough in the potatoes already.

Remove and test using a fork to see if at the consistency you want. Microwave longer if needed. Poor out any excess water if there is any. Cover and let cool. Removing the lid may cause discoloring.

Once cool combine all the ingredients by folding/stirring them in with the potatoes so as not to break up the potatoes any further. 

If you want to take it one step further which I didn't did this time. Hard boil 2 eggs. Slice them and add to the top. Sprinkle with cayenne, paprika... I have used turmeric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment