Thursday, September 17, 2015

Grain and Seed Round Loaf


This recipe was adapted from this one: No-Knead Harvest 8 Grain Wheat Bread

I'm afraid my recipe calls for kneading. Now that I know that no-knead recipes call for you to leave your dough to proof or knead itself for 8-24 hours, I may try the no-knead method next time.

3 Cups flour (bread, white, whole wheat or combination)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1 1/2 - 2 Tsp yeast
2/3 Cup grains
1/4 Cup seeds (flax, chia, sesame or sunflower)
1 Tbsp oil
14 Oz cool tap water

In a bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add grains and seeds and mix. Add oil and water. Mix/stir until the dough starts to thicken and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if necessary.

I guessed at the yeast since the original recipe called for 1/2 Tsp as it seems that no-knead recipes need less yeast.

Grains refers to any type of multi-grain cereal mix that has a mixture of grains in it like oats, bran and seeds. Use whatever type of seeds you prefer.

Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour. Punch down, knead and shape it into the shape you want.

Side note: Mine didn't rise during that hour so I didn't need to punch it down. I don't think I added enough flour so I added more when I kneaded and shaped it.

I didn't have a dish like in the video so I used a square casserole dish with a lid. I also lined the dish with parchment paper. The bread came into contact with the casserole dish lid and it didn't harm the loaf.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on. Then bake for an addition 3-15 minutes with the lid off.


No comments:

Post a Comment