Thursday, September 17, 2015

Cranberry and Raisin Protein Bars



I started making these for my husband for a work snack instead of us buying protein meal replacement bars. I adapted the recipe a bit from this one:

Cranberry Protein Bars (Sweetened Only With Raw Honey)

I do believe the above recipe's ingredients is also geared to include the Paleo Diet. Personally I don't follow Paleo so I changed some of the ingredients.

3/4 Cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1/3 Cup sesame seeds
1/4 Cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 Cup sunflower seeds

1/4 Cup flax seeds
1/4 Cup cranberries
1/4 Cup raisins
1/4 Tsp salt

1/4 Cup honey
1/4 Cup sunflower seed butter (smooth or chunky)

olive or coconut oil
parchment paper
8 x 8 pan

Ingredients can be bought in bulk and no-name brands. I substituted pecans with raisins. I choose not to use ground flax seeds and used whole ones instead. Normal table salt instead of sea salt. Roasted or non-roasted seeds will work. Mix and match based on your own preferences.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a 8 x 8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper and lightly oiling with olive or coconut oil.

I find cutting the parchment paper bigger then the pan is best. I can use the paper to pull the bars out of the pan, once cooled, for cutting. Don't throw out the parchment paper. It can be reused.

In a non-stick skillet/frying pan, lightly toast or brown the coconut, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds over medium heat. About 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl combine the flax seeds, cranberries, raisins and salt. Once toasted add the above ingredients into the bowl. Then add the honey and sunflower butter. Mix well.

Measure the honey first then the sunflower butter. The sunflower butter won't stick to the measuring cup the same.

Transfer to baking dish making sure to pack down tightly so that it doesn't fall apart later. I packed it tighter the second time around.

I find using a metal spoon rather then a wooden one makes it easier for packing. Doesn't seem to stick to the spoon as much.

Bake for 15 minutes. Let it cool completely and cut into bars.

Once I cut into bars, I place them individually in zip-lock bags and put them in the refrigerator. All my husband has to do when making his lunch in the morning is grab a bag from the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment